Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Eastern Europeans/Singer Songwriters

I LIKE: EASTERN EUROPEANS

What is it about me and Eastern Europeans? I like them. We click. We always seem to end up together, giggling helplessly, stroking each other's flowing blond hair, communicating in broken English, and discussing Macedonian economics.
Americans can instantly tell that I'm an exceedingly awkward person who is not really representative of the American population.
Thankfully, the language barrier is strong enough to hide this fact from most Eastern Europeans, who will laugh at my tired, banal jokes, and who can appreciate that I know the capital of Estonia (Tallinn, BOO-YA!)
My brother has shared with me that he thinks my thing with Eastern Europeans is "weird." I think it is inevitable. When Americans shun you, you try your luck at Western Europe. When the French shun you, where else do you go? East, my friend.
Keep going east.
This is something I repeat to myself throughout the day. It might actually qualify as a tic.


I HATE: SINGER/SONGWRITERS

Hence the name of this blog. I don't like singer/songwriters. I don't like "that guy" at the party who pulls out the guitar, closes his eyes, looks into his soul, and plays "Wonderwall." Even better is when he performs his own songs, which he usually writes during sleepless nights while thinking about a girl and noodling on some DMB songs.
He plays at open mics with a hushed voice and half-closed eyes. His songs probably rhyme "rain" with "pain" and "life" with "strife." There will invariably be some reference to staring out of a window.
He refers to himself as a "composer." He describes his music as "something new, trying to fuse some elements of hard bop with the recent jam-band scene, adding in some musique concrete with lots of double-sharps to mix things up." This makes no sense whatsoever, but he's too talented to make sense.
He's a genius.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

don't forget "cry" and "why."

Unknown said...

Hi…I was browsing for ways to make money from home and your blog page just popped out. I must say, that you are a good writer. Now, I know what to do. Freelancing is the best way to work as well as spend time with my family. I am happy to know that I can earn from it too! Can you send me some links of sites that have a job for people like me? I am a good graphics designer and can design almost anything. I have already browsed through sites like Freelance Work From Home, $5 logos and many more. They all look promising. What do you say?